WE BELIEVE THAT SMALL GROUPS ARE A CRITICAL PART OF STUDENT MINISTRY. MOVE USES A SPECIFIC FORMAT DESIGNED TO MAXIMIZE THE DISCUSSION, PARTICIPATION AND COMMUNITY THAT COME FROM QUALITY SMALL GROUP TIME.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
- The ideal number for each Small Group this summer is 10. While it’s not mandatory, groups of five or fewer might want to think about joining with another group of similar size, and groups larger than 15 should consider splitting into two groups, if possible.
- Day 1’s Small Group experience will be given to you at the Adult Leader Meeting on Day 1. You'll have some time to complete it between the Student Only Session and the Evening Session.
- Each morning of MOVE – before or after the Morning Session – one adult leader from each Small Group should pick up an envelope containing that day’s Small Group experience (at the Adult Leader Meeting or the Hub). Each day’s Small Group will be a different experience than the last, but each will involve 10 cards provided in each morning’s envelopes.
- After the Morning Session, lead your Small Group to your location and spread out for Encounter Time. Encounter is 10-15 minutes for everyone to spend time opening their Bibles and working through their Encounter Card.
- After Encounter Time, gather your students back together and read aloud the instructions on the OUTSIDE of the envelope you received.
- Once you read the instructions, open the packet and randomly hand each student in your group one of the 10 cards inside.
- A few packets will contain BLUE “Adult Leader” cards. Make sure YOU hang on to these. WHITE cards are important (DON'T SKIP THEM!). If you're short on time, skip a GREY card.
- If your group has fewer than 10 people, some will have more than one card. If your group has more than 10, a few will have to share a card.
- Each person is responsible for leading the group through the card they receive.
- Once everyone has a card, whoever has Card #1 will begin the group time. Work through the cards, in order, beginning with Card #1 and ending with Card #10.
Some suggestions for a successful Small Group experience:
Look over the Small Group Cards. Previewing the cards will help you be prepared to lead your students beyond what the experience naturally provides.
- Have fun! Don’t take yourself too seriously. You set the tone for the rest of the group.
- Pray for Jesus to use your Small Group time and to speak to you and the students through this experience.
- Lead by listening. Pay attention to what students are saying. Listen for good opportunities to ask questions and allow students to explain further what they’re thinking.
- Encourage your group in spiritual growth. Show your appreciation when they open up or take a risk by sharing something.
- Take pictures and post updates for your church and families. We’d encourage you to use the hashtag #Kingdomworkers!
If you're not familiar with how Small Groups work, check out our resource...Small Groups 101.
Back to Essentials