Here are 10 things you need to know about Melissa Hiett.
1. She is the high school pastor at Crossings Community Church in Edmond, Oklahoma.
2. She attended Bible college in Dallas, Texas at Christ for the Nations, and has served in student ministry for 18 years. She’s been in full-time ministry since 2006.
3. She is married to Trae, and they have five children and a Goldendoodle named Fletcher. Somewhere around their home is a guinea pig … if you see him, let us know.
4. She loves Korean barbecue. Mexican food is a close second.
5. She can’t choose just one favorite movie. If it can make her laugh out loud, it’s a great one and she’s up for watching over and over.
6. She has no sense of smell. She said since she lives with four boys, a dog, a missing guinea pig and she works with teenagers, it’s really seen as a blessing from the Lord.
7. Melissa became a Christian her junior year of high school. She instantly knew the Lord wanted her to change her plans and desires for the future. It took a couple of years to understand what that looked like, but after serving in student ministry she knew God was directing her to use her gifts to serve teenagers.
8. She said being a Kingdom worker means that everything is important. “From a small choice of picking up a piece of trash to the way we talk to people – being a Kingdom worker is something we do because of what Jesus did,” she said. “It’s looking for the Kingdom in every situation and asking, ‘What needs to be done here?’ Then meet those needs with joy and excellence. It’s also about having a whole lot of fun and loving this life Jesus gave us!”
9. Melissa loves the story of Elijah in the Bible. Every time she reads it, the Lord reminds her that He is in the whisper. He whispers because He wants us to lean in.
10. This summer, Melissa wants students to consider the Creator of the universe – the one who holds the stars in His hands, who tells the moon to circle around the earth and who keeps the oceans at bay – cares so deeply for them that He would whisper directly to them. If you lean in, He’ll be closer to you!